In order to provide these Services, we require certain information from the dealer. This policy sets the types of personal information we collect and process about you, what we use it for and how we will treat it. Please read this policy carefully and contact us if you have any questions as set out below.
Information we process about you
When you take up our Services or use the Website, we will collect certain information about you, such as:
- basic contact information you provide to us;
- records of how you use our Services;
- information we obtain from public sources;
- information we receive from third parties (e.g., business partners, service providers, advertising networks, analytics providers, automotive data providers, search information providers or social networks);
- records of communications you have with us; other information you provide to us voluntarily, including as part of a survey or promotion; and
- technical information about your device and website usage, including cookies (see our Cookies Policy);
Basic contact information you provide to us
For a dealer requesting Services, we will collect your name, post code, email address, telephone number and the company you work for. Amongst other things, we will use this information to contact you in respect of any bids you make and generally manage the sales process.
Records of how you use our Services
This may include details of your use of our website, and records of any purchase you make.
Information we obtain from public sources
If we wish to confirm your identity, we obtain information about you from third parties such as Companies House.
Information we obtain from third parties
We may also work with third parties (including, for example, business partners, service providers, advertising networks, analytics providers, automotive data providers, search information providers or social networks) and may receive information about you from them to make sure our Services are as effective as possible.
Records of communications you have with us
If you contact us with a question or query or to provide us with feedback, for instance, we will keep a record of your communications with us.
Other information you provide to us voluntarily, including as part of a survey or promotion
This may include data that you provide to us if you enter a competition or prize draw on our Website or the details of any feedback that you provide to one of our online surveys or focus groups.
Technical information about your device and website usage
When you use our Website, we collect certain technical information including:
- details about your device, such as your IP address, device type, operating system and browser;
- information relating to use of the Website, such as the pages you visit and elements of the page you interact with.
How we use your personal information
We use personal information about you for various purposes connected with our Services, including:
- to communicate with you in relation to your use of our Services and provide you with customer support;
- for internal management, administrative and organisational reasons;
- to share information with our suppliers and other third parties in order to provide you with our Services;
- to send you offers, promotions or other marketing which we think you may find useful; and
- to develop and improve our business, through the use of data analytics and benchmarking.
In order to use your personal information, we must have a legal basis for doing so. The legal bases that we rely upon are explained further in the “find out more” section below. We will only use your personal information where it is necessary:
- to fulfil our contract for services with you;
- to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject;
- for our legitimate business interests that is not overridden by your interests, rights and freedoms.
Where none of the above applies, we will request your consent (which we will ask for before we process the information).
The table below sets out further information about the purposes for which we use information about you, with the corresponding methods of collection and legal basis that we rely upon for its use.
|Purpose||Method of collection and legal basis for processing|
|Method of collection|
This information will be provided by you directly when you first take up our Service and set up an account with us and then during the course of using our Services.
Necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us in relation to the Services. In all other cases, it is our legitimate business interest to provide efficient price comparison services.
|To communicate with you||Method of collection|
This information is collected any time when we communicate with you or you communicate with us.
It is our legitimate business interest to inform you of relevant information in relation to the Services that we provide, respond to your communications and to improve our business.
|Internal management, administrative and organisational reasons||Method of collection|
This information is collected from you both directly and indirectly.
It is our legitimate business interest to manage and administer our Services and Website, comply with laws to which we are subject and protect our business interests and legal rights.
|To share information with service providers||Method of collection|
This may include any of the information we hold about you, whether collected by direct or indirect means.
It is our legitimate business interest to share your information with trusted third parties who provide us with services relevant to our provision of our Services to you, including data storage providers, content and data providers and customer management and support providers.
|To send you offers, promotions or other marketing||Method of collection|
Your contact details will be collected when you request a valuation from us and your account is created and may be updated (along with your preferences) from time to time.
It is our legitimate business interest to send you marketing and promotional materials from time to time.
If we send you a marketing email, it will include details on how to unsubscribe from receiving similar marketing messages in the future. You can also manage your information and update your marketing preferences by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow up to two business days for any opt out request to be processed. We may continue to send you relevant service messages about your account and our services if you have unsubscribed from emails or SMS.
|To improve and develop our Services and Website||Method of collection|
This information is collected across your interactions with the Website and your use of our Services.
It is our legitimate business interest to identify ways to develop and improve our Services, Website and business.
Who do we share your information with, and for what purposes?
We may share your personal information with:
- a seller of a vehicle if you have placed a bid for that vehicle; and
- service providers, such as data storage providers, content and data providers and customer management and support providers;
Seller of a Vehicle
When you bid for a vehicle, we share information about you (such as name, postcode, email address, telephone number and the company you work for) with the Seller of a vehicle in order to facilitate a sale. If you proceed with the purchase of a car, we will receive certain information about your transaction from the relevant Seller of a vehicle, such as the date of the car sale and the final price you paid for billing and reporting purposes.
Our Service Providers
We use carefully selected service providers which process personal information about you on our behalf as described below:
- Data storage providers: Such providers help operate the functionality of the Website and enable us to provide user accounts. They also provide backup, debugging and logging purposes.
- Content and data providers: Such providers assist us to, for example, verify your email address and telephone number, use your town/city to calculate routes between you and the Seller of a Vehicle, and use your postcode to geocode your approximate location.
- Customer management and support providers: Such providers deliver personalised email or SMS reminders to you in relation to your cars available for sale, and collect reviews of our Services.
If you would like to receive a full list of our suppliers and other third parties who we share your information with then you can get in touch with us using the details provided in the section Contact Information.
We may also share your personal information with third parties in other circumstances:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets, along with its professional advisers;
- if required in order to obtain professional advice concerning a complaint, claim or potential claim relating to you; and
- we are required to comply with certain legal and regulatory requirements, and may process your personal information for compliance with such legal or regulatory obligation, to which we or regulators or law enforcement agencies are subject.
Storage of your personal information
Information about you may be transferred outside the UK to a country, territory or international organisation that may not have UK equivalent data protection standards.
How do we protect your personal information?
We implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect personal information that we hold from unauthorised disclosure, use, alteration or destruction. Where appropriate, we use encryption and other technologies that can assist in securing the information you provide. We also require our service providers to comply with strict data privacy requirements.
How long will your personal information be kept?
The period for which we may retain information about you will depend on the purposes for which the information was collected, whether you have requested the deletion of the information, and whether any legal obligations require the retention of it (for example, for regulatory compliance). We will not retain information about you for longer than is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected.
You may have some or all of the following rights in respect of the information about you that we process:
- request us to give you access to it;
- request us to rectify it, update it, or erase it;
- request us to restrict our using it, in certain circumstances;
- object to our using it, in certain circumstances;
withdraw your consent to our using it;
- data portability, in certain circumstances;
- opt out from our using it for direct marketing; and
- lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office in the UK which is responsible for upholding your data protection rights.
You are able to exercise these rights by contacting us at using the details set out in the section Contact Information.
You have the rights set out in the table below:
|Right in respect of the information we hold about you||Further detail (note: certain legal limits to all these rights apply)|
|This is confirmation of:|
On your request we will provide you with a copy of your personal information we hold.
|This applies if the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete.|
|This applies if:|
|This right applies, temporarily while we look into your case, if you:|
(if you make use of your right in these cases, we will tell you before we use the personal information again).
This right applies also if:
|You have two rights here:|
This right applies to any personal information which we have collected and process based on your consent.
You have the right at any time to withdraw the consent you have provided to us.
|This right applies:|
If both (i) and (ii) apply, you have the right to receive the information back from us in a commonly used format, and the right to require us to transmit the personal information to someone else if it is technically feasible.
Each European Union country has a supervisory authority responsible for upholding data protection rights. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You also have the right to obtain a remedy from UK court.
For the purpose of UK data protection law, the controller is Motorway Online Ltd (Company Number 10285711) of International House, 24 Holborn Viaduct, London EC1A 2BN.
If you have any questions, or wish to exercise your rights, please contact us at any time on email@example.com or 020 3988 2288.